I'm a paragraph. I'm connected to your collection through a dataset. Click Preview to see my content. To update me, go to the Data Manager.
Available in 9” or 12” diameter.
Straw wattles are an effective and economical alternative to silt fence and straw bales for sediment control and stormwater runoff. Wattles are cylinders of recycled, compressed, and 100% agricultural straw wrapped in tubular, UV-stabilized black synthetic netting.
Straw wattles can be placed and staked along the contour of newly constructed or disturbed slopes. Fertile topsoil, organic matter, and native seeds are trapped behind straw wattles and provide a stable medium for germination. Straw wattles also retain moisture from rainfall, aiding the growth of tree seedlings planted to their upslope side.
Straw wattles are available in two sizes:
- 9 inch (22.86 cm) diameter
- 12 inch (30.48 cm) diameter
Advantages of Straw Wattles
- Increased weight per linear foot for less resistance to movement from wind, water, and sediment load
- Low-cost solution to sheet and rill erosion problems
- Replaces silt fence or straw bales on steep slopes
- Lasts up to two years
- Stores moisture for vegetation planted immediately upslope
- The straw incorporates into the soil over time, adding organic material to the soil and retaining moisture for vegetation
- Can be staked with fascines to stabilize low velocity stream banks and establish wetland plants
Units available for rental or purchase.